For those looking to travel far and wide on their stand up paddle board, or for those just beginning, being out on open water can be a scary thing. Some paddle boards come with leashes, but unfortunately, the leash is only just to keep your board close to you, not to be used as a life saver. For those, you should actually get a certified lifesaver that has its own, sole purpose of its one job: saving lives.
Just like every product, there are a variety of options available to choose from.
Since there are so many options out there, we’ve presented you with a list of reviews to help you find the best PFD for SUP. See the complete review below.
- O’Neill Superlite Life Vest
- Summary: Best traditional life vest with large motion range.
- Get it here
2. Onyx M-16 Inflatable Life Belt
- Summary: Go on your paddle board with no motion restriction at all! The belt needs to be inflated once in the water.
3. Onyx M-24 Inflatable Life Belt
- Summary: Greater buoyancy than the Onyx-M16.
4. Driftsun Universal Fit Inflatable Life Vest
- Summary: Very large range of motion but without the need to put the vest on in the water. Great compromise.
Reviews of the Best Lifevest for Paddle Board
O’Neill Superlite Life Vest
The O’Neill Superlite Life Jacket is highly ranked, with 4.3 out of 5 stars. It has a mesh for drainage. It also has high safety features with its overlock stitching and a minimal bulk design. There are extra features attached to this USCG certified jacket which makes it one of the top life jackets for SUP. For instance, there is an attachment for your SUP leash at the bottom. It can also be multifunctional used as a key loop, as well.
It is a perfect fit for larger guys as well, which makes a very versatile fit. Not only can it be good for SUP riders, but this is also compatible with any sport out in the water like jet skiing or boating. It is also available in a multitude of colors, which makes it perfect to be seen from far away. This life jacket has 4.3 out of 5 stars and is ranked in Amazon’s Best Sellers Rank as Nos. 1 and 4 on Water Sports Vests.
- Pros: Comes in multiple varieties of colors — black, red, blue, lime, white, and green. Buckles comply with quick release.
- Cons: The colors seem to be off, the green seems to be more yellow or yellow-green. The size chart also seems to be faulty.
- Get it at Amazon!
Onyx M-16 Inflatable Life Belt
The Onyx M-16 Inflatable life belt can be not only convenient but also practical, if you’re looking not have to paddle on your paddle board with a bulky vest on. The belt pack has a D-ring that inflates the life jacket when needed.Without the extra weight or the uncomfortable feel and weight of a large life jacket, the Onyx M-16 Belt Pack Inflatable Life Jacket can not only get the job done saving your life but can also make your entire experience better.. It is available to inflate either manually or through an oral inflation tube. This belt can be used by boarders over the age of 16 and above 80 lbs. Available in gray with 200 denier nylon oxford protective cover.
The belt pack is valued with a high overall score of 4.6 stars out of 5, which places it in high regard for those looking for a safe and reliable life jacket, it doesn’t matter if you are a beginner or an expert. Although some people complained about the defectiveness of their product, it didn’t happen often, and the percentage of those who had a successful purchase greatly outweighs those who had a negative experience.
- Pros: Extremely light and thin. When deployed, had a free range of motion for arms to swim.
- Cons: Not deemed as a full jacket or vest, just a floating pillow with a loop around the neck. C02 cartridge to be replaced after one use. See the Onyx-M24 for greater buoyancy.
- Get it at Amazon!
Onyx M-24 Inflatable Life Belt
The Onyx M-24 inflatable life belt has the same great features as the Onyx M-16, but with a larger buoyancy. This inflatable belt pack life jacket by Onyx can inflate either manually or by an oral inflation tube. What makes a difference in this belt pack is the extra space for a zipper pocket used for storage for small items that you can’t go without, for example, your keys, licenses, and cellphone.
Needs a good, hard pull to activate the life jacket and is made to support large amounts of weight. If you need to inflate it with orally, it needs only a few big breaths. The manual inflation process works immediately. It is light and compact to wear out in the water. Although a few people had some difficulty when using the product, most of those who purchased the inflatable belt life jacket had hardly anything to complain about. Quite the contrary, they raved about the weight and simple effectiveness of the product.
- Pros: Convenient and compact, Has zipper pocket for small items. Greater buoyancy.
- Cons: Only one size — Adult, Complaints of the velcro failing and the bladder within the float would roll out.
- Get it at Amazon!
See the Onyx-M24 vest at work:
Driftsun Universal Fit Inflatable Life Vest
Definitely one of the best life jackets for SUP on the market, the Driftsun Universal Fite Inflatable Life Vest is not a belt, but an actual life jacket. It has a wide range of motion when on for arms, it has reflective tape, safety whistle, and a manual oral inflation tube included.
The vest made by Driftsun is made of a high strength material and a lightweight compact design. The Universal Fit Automatic Manual Inflatable Life Vest PFD features high-performance utility and has a neckline made of a soft material called neoprene. It also has a 300D protective cover.
This life jacket is his hip there in the rankings on Amazon, not only rated with 3.8 stars, but also ranked as No. 168 in life jackets. It also comes at a good price. A great feature that this life jacket has, is that it can accommodate size up to a chest of 46 inches. It should be able to fit XL and XXL individuals. It has been reviewed as a good quality not only for the price but also for the product. There were not many negative reviews, but the only complaint seemed to be that it did not contain certification tags from the U.S. Coast Guards or the European Compliance Services.
- Pros: This life vest is adjustable with a slender design and with a soft neoprene material. Also contains
- Cons: May be seen as smaller for larger set people. It also does not meet life preserver (USCG) requirements.
- Get it at Amazon!